Sunday, March 2, 2008

Father where are you?

As a young girl growing up,that is a question I often asked myself,"Father where are you?"
This is a question that no child should ever have to ask but unfortunately many of our men
don't value and take pride in their offspring.They don't stop to think of the importance that their presence will be in a child's life.Yes, many of us grew up with stepfathers in the home but nothing can ever compare to the closeness love and validation a daughter yearns for from her biological father.How many little girls have grown up to be emotionally scarred and have low expectations
when it comes to men because what she needed from her father she never got?I firmly believe that if little girls have a strong,loving and positive father who is a good provider she will not accept anyone who is less of a man than what her father was to her.

Little things can mean the world to children.A walk in the park, baking and decorating cupcakes with them or just sitting down watching their favorite movie which you really may not like .How hard can it really be to be a dad?Not just any dad, a good one ,how hard can it be to take the time out of your day to call and listen to how your little girl tell you how her day went?How hard can it be to remember your promises and keep them?I'm really curious what men have to say in defense of this because alot of you are guilty of making a child ask this question about you!FATHER WHERE ARE YOU?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot begin to understand what it's like to grow up without the love and affection of a biological father. I actually had the love of my biological father and my stepfather who never treated me wrong until he got senile.

The tone of your blog is very angry. I've heard it said that you can't really miss something you never had, which is true to a certain degree.

I strongly believe in pressing on towards the mark, not wallowing in self pity, not worrying about what you didn't have but actually taking inventory of what you do have.

Did you have a strong, close knit extended family? (mother,grandmother,great-grandmother,grandfather,stepfather,siblings,etc.) If so, then thank God for the people He allowed to be in your life. Everything that happens to each one of us, is for a reason, and one day you will find out. Maybe that father didn't need to be in your life. Have you ever thought about it like that?

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

Melanie said...

I also believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I appreciate your insight.Yes I have a wonderful family who is very supportive who I grew up around.My mother stepfather, grandparents great grand parents and many sisters but even with all of them around for some reason I felt as if something was missing.If you feel that I sound angry now I guess I was ready to explode years ago because right now I have actually stopped hating my father and am able to hold a decent conversation with him. As for wallowing in self pity,I don't agree with that,I feel that I have reached a point of realization of where things went wrong for me (getting to the root of my problems)so that I can move on and be successful.I had to acknowledge and embrace hurtful issues so that I could grow, heal and help others in need.